Monday, January 27, 2014

Issue 87 (2013-2014)

Issue 87 (January 22, 2014)

Sidebar
Special shoutout to boy genius Jonathan Levenson for publicly admitting on Facebook that he was the one who vandalized the bus. Real smart move there, tough guy.

I may have strayed from the actual game in my article (just a little bit), so here’s a recap. Lisagna was on fire from three, knocking down shot after shot. Phil would have been proud. Dempsey went hard in the paint, balling up some fools. Yu straight up Harlem Globetrotter’d some dweeb from La Jolla. Catch his sweet handles on the next AND1 Mixtape Tour video. Woodley had some clutch boards and shots, and Sahil knocked them down when we needed them most. It was a total team effort, with everyone playing solid basketball, including Cullen and his sophomore girl entourage, and the young Steph Curry. Overall a great game. Congrats to the Bucket Squad.



 Articles

Bright Futures
By: Dan Forssman      

            I came home yesterday, stoked after the Mens Basketball team pulled off a big win against La Jolla High. Of course there was the regular trash-talking back and forth, especially coming from their side. The classic “daddy’s money” chant, even though a good amount of people at Bishop’s are on scholarship and/or have parents that work exceptionally hard in order to provide such an amazing education for their children. Which, if you think about it, is even more ironic because every kid that goes to La Jolla High has to live in one of the wealthiest zip codes in the world just to attend the school. But we can deal with that.
            We can deal with them yelling expletives out their car windows as they drive by after losing to us. “Play football, faggots,” was one of the phrases I heard, walking back to my car. No class or respect, but we can deal with teenagers who rely on homophobic slurs in order to get a slight masculinity boost or some brownie points with their super cool friends.
            We can deal with them crashing Bishop’s parties and starting fights. We can deal with them being intentionally obnoxious, hurtful, and violent whenever they come into contact with Bishop’s kids. We can deal with that.
            I’ve said my fair share of jokes about the “groms,” as we like to call them. As have most people. But never really in a malicious manner. At Bishop’s, even when our comments border inappropriate or uncalled for, they come from a good place. We live for the rivalries, for the close games that get heated with opponents we know all too well. We merely want our classmates to succeed, and this drives us to get excited, to get “hyphy.” Sometimes games get a little too heated, but hey – we can deal with that.
            I came home last night, stoked after the win. But my mood immediately changed when I checked my messages. A friend sent me a picture of one of our school buses. The word “Fuck” was spray-painted next to “The Bishop’s School,” along with “LJHS” and a poorly drawn penis underneath.
            This really pissed me off. It showed me where the La Jolla High kids are coming from – a place of hatred. They legitimately hate us, maybe because of the cars we drive or the opportunities we have. But whatever the case, they hate us for foolish reasons, choosing to display their hatred in malicious ways. At games, they don’t cheer on their classmates. They only boo Bishop’s fans. They don’t want to win. They want us to lose, to fail.
            I’m not overreacting. I didn’t have a Catcher in the Rye moment and lose my innocence from seeing the f-word. I’ve seen it before, and I’ve heard the phrase “Fuck Bishop’s” before too, on numerous occasions. But when you make it tangible, when you vandalize our school’s property, you take it a step too far. You not only show that you have absolutely no class or sportsmanship, but you also show that you’re so adamant about your (unjustified) hatred of Bishop’s that you are willing to risk getting into a bunch of trouble just to make such a stupid and immature statement. Though I’m not sure what you were going for by drawing male genitalia on a bus. 
            La Jolla High loses to us so often that I would have thought they would have learned to do it with class by now. But I guess you can’t teach an old grom new tricks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment