Monday, January 27, 2014

Issue 91 (2013-2014)

Issue 91 (January 28, 2014)

Sidebar
DU Issue 90
If you didn’t see Chris’s article yesterday, it is on the blog at thedailyurinal.blogspot.com.

Ilana Stone
Would like to clarify that she enjoyed Chris’s article and that her article is in no way directed at him personally.

Want to be on staff?
Since both of our guest writers  today have contributed more this year than many of our staff writers, the DU Commanders might soon consider adding some new faces to the staff. If you are interested in writing this year and/or next year, consistently submit articles. Who knows what could happen!

Reflections!
Submit all of your artsier prose and poetry to reflectionslitmagazine@gmail.com.

The Grammys
Are a joke, so Greg didn’t watch them.

Call Me, Ishmael
;)

Lyrics Quiz
Brenda and Eddie
Were the popular steadies
And the king and the queen of the prom
Riding around with the car-top
Down and the radio on
Nobody looked any finer
Or was more of a hit at the parkway diner


Articles

Standardized TESTS!?
By: Thomas Higginson (Fabio’s Tennis Buddy)

We all went through the incredibly stressful and annoying process that is standardized testing. Unless you’re on the College Board (or you love mind-blowingly boring tests), then you probably cringe at the following acronyms: SAT, ACT, ISEE, STAR (Tests). To those underclassmen reading this article, I could give you some crude advice. But I’ll let you navigate your hell however you want. A successful rant about these tests could be done in one sentence, and I’ve seen it done before (thanks Yahoo answers), but I want to clarify that I don’t want this to be read as another philippic article that claims to be unbiased. Instead, I want to discuss a recent experience I shared with an older woman whose child applied to the 6th grade at Bishop’s this school year.
It was Friday and I was tired and wanted to go home (a lot of other stuff to set the mood here) and feeling pretty chill. So I walked out the front gate towards my car. Usually complete strangers don’t say hi to my beautiful face (jk), but this lady literally reached out, grabbed my arm, and said, “You’re a 12th grader, right?” Initially I responded by saying “what?” because that’s everyone’s natural response, even when you hear the question (why is that?). So, she repeated herself, and I paused for a brief moment, lifted my eyebrows, and said “yeah.”
Her daughter had taken the ISEE and, from her description, had not done too hot. Again, I have no idea who this was, nor what their name was, but I instantly felt obligated to ensure her by regurgitating some platitude about how stuff works out sooner or later (usually later from my experience). I felt that I had fulfilled my obligations and started inching my way towards my car, but this lady was on the verge of tears. Without hesitation, she began to explain her daughter’s resume to me as if I could get her in: at least, that’s what I thought. I continued the conversation by relating my experiences to those of her daughter’s, and she eventually thanked me for my support.
I took two steps away until I stopped, bit my lip, and aimlessly moved my eyes around. I walked the rest of the path to my car and started driving, when I realized what really happened. This older woman was trying to reach out and say that she feels so significantly helpless for her own child, and I subconsciously, and entirely, related my parents’ experiences to hers. To think that these standardized tests are only stressful for you is simply unfair. Your parents, who are endlessly supporting you, are struck equally as hard when it comes to standardized tests. It may not be so blatantly apparent, but when I thought of the matter, I could instantly relate when I remembered my parents frantically trying to find SAT prep when my score wasn’t where it needed to be. I’m not trying preach to underclassmen that you have to do well, or else you’re parents suffer. I want to emphasize that as students we often overlook the mere assumption that our parents don’t experience emotions the way we do.
I wrote down my thoughts in a text and shared what had happened with a friend (mainly so I wouldn’t forget my original thought). But, honestly, as my thoughts sprung forward, I was the one reaching out, because I was overcome with guilt. Sure some College Board freak can systematically announce that standardized tests are 100% necessary for any admissions process, but they can’t know the cycle of endless stress they cause for you for up to a year.
If you score your goal the first time, (you’ll probs end up retaking anyways haha) then try to support your friends.

An Epiphany
By: Ilana Stone (Welcome Guest)

My fellow Americans: yesterday, I reached an epiphany. As I sat in the science center reading the Daily Urinal™ I realized, many of my friends are closet peasants—and my world was smashed. Mis amigos don’t sport Lands’ End pants out of respect for the uniform code or fear of a uniform violation but rather because they simply cannot afford hippity-hoppity-freaky-fresh Volcom pants. (Those with weak stomachs should stop here.)
To think that I previously thought Bishop’s to be a diverse place. I am ashamed to confess that, at some point in my past, I even believed this school to be the tiniest bit economically diverse. I was also formerly under the notion that Volcom pants were worn, not because they are more expensive, but simply because they were maybe more comfortable or better fitting. But what was I thinking! Every kid at this school is a millionaire right? Every kid gets their dream car. Every kid gets to spend “Daddy’s money.” No one has a flip phone! How dare I ever even think that I was part of a student body in which no one felt the need to boast or brag about their bulging pockets of bucks.
I was once fed some administrative propaganda, that uniforms promoted unity among students or made students feel equal to each other. But I don’t believe that anymore! I’m a changed woman, a butterfly emerging from its pupa stage!
Thank you DU: Issue 90 for opening my eyes to the true world around me, where Lands’ End has become synonymous with “a lack of wealth.” Now I see that every kid at Bishop’s is made of money with no exceptions and we need to rebel against the system. DOWN WITH THE TOTALITARIAN ADMINISTRATION!   VIVE LE BOURGEOISIE!            

No comments:

Post a Comment