Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Issue 101 (2013-2014)

Issue 101 (February 11, 2014)

Sidebar


GO SEE IT THIS WEEKEND


SPORTS
MEN'S VARSITY SOCCER ON THE FIELD TODAY AFTER SCHOOL. FEATURING NEW SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL RECRUIT DAN FORSSMAN.


Other Sports
Ya watch those too


The Dungeon
Has been sending out some hyphy videos. Check them out.


BHARMONY
Fill out your Valentine's Day Survey. You should have gotten an email about it on your Bishop's account. It may be this or a day full of House of Cards.


LYRICS QUIZ
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly aging


SPIRIT WEEK
Next week is Spirit Week! Get ready to get rowdy. You have a four day weekend to prepare yourself physically, mentally and spiritually.


HAPPY TUESDAY
Hey it's slightly better than a Monday

Articles

A Short Story: Road Rage
By Nessa Garcia (Aggressive Driver)
                  La Jolla is a beautiful place and there’s no arguing that. However, its roads are not as pretty. I’m not talking about potholes or things like that, but rather, the drivers that I come across when I drive to or from school. To further clarify, I think there’s something about La Jolla that can transform us all into terrible, impatient drivers—but more on that later.
                  It was a Thursday afternoon last week when I experienced my first true feelings of road rage. I am no stranger to road rage, as my mother has demonstrated it for me ever since I was a little girl (love you, mom), but I am the type of person who hates using her horn and would prefer to just wait it out if someone is being excessively slow. That being said, it would have to be something really provocative and rude to send me into a fit of road rage…can you see where I’m going here?
                  Hypothetically, you are at a red light. You are not using your phone or falling asleep. Then, the light turns green. Before you can even think or breathe, a girl in a stupid red car behind you beeps her horn. Not a quick beep, but a long, emotional beep that startles everyone in a 1-mile radius. You don’t know this girl, but a dark feeling begins to grow inside your soul. A dark, charcoal-black feeling. Despite this emotion, you suck in your breath and keep driving. But then, at the next two lights, the girl does the same exact thing. As you whip your head around, she has her arms up in a questioning manner, her lips mouthing “What the cluck?!”.
                  At this point, you may then slam on your breaks, step out of your car, and approach her stupid red car. You are no longer socially-conscious because you are angry. Very angry.
                  What ended up happening was that she sped off before I reached her, and then I awkwardly scuttled back to my car, the intense feeling fading away faster than it had come. Road rage had truly altered me.
                  After I got back in the car and quietly drove myself home, I realized that La Jolla, a place crowded with people and filled with numerous left turn yields, will always be a hot spot for road rage. While this may not a shocker for you, all I ask is that you don’t see yourself as king/queen of the road. Everyone is always late for something, but don’t lose patience. It won’t always be a little 5”1 teenager storming towards your red car. 

My Car
By Chris Halter (Nostalgic Driver)

Sometime next week, my car’s odometer will eclipse 180,000 miles: That’s like driving around the Earth 7 times or driving to the Moon and a third of the way back. This car has seen me evolve from an infant sitting in a car seat to a teenager sitting in the driver’s seat. In a way it is like a parent to me, a constant figure in my life from the first moment I started forming memories. In a world increasingly defined by a “Out with the old in with new” mentality it isn’t too often I find myself holding onto outdated items; but my car is a completely different story.
                  By current automobile standards my car certainly isn’t the fastest, safest or most fuel efficient - it tops out at about 17 MPG - and by no means does it turn any heads in the Bishop’s garage, but what it does have is a soul. Anybody who drives will know what I’m talking about when referring to “the character” of my car. If my car were a person it would be a grandfather; an older man that’s seen the world and its realities and is quick to dispense advice but is ready to comfort you whenever you’re ready - complete with heated seats. I love my car because I’ve laughed in it, I’ve cried in it, screamed at other drivers in it, I’ve contemplated my life in it and it has really become a part of me.
Soon enough I’ll be headed to college and I know it may seem ridiculous but one of the things I’ll miss most is waking up each morning and driving to school in my car; it’s a time that is unique because those moments alone in the car are yours alone. Maybe college is 6 months away for you or 4 years away, but regardless of when you’ll be leaving home I urge you take notice of the things that have been a part of your life, and be thankful for them.



No comments:

Post a Comment