Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Issue 94 (2013-2014)

Issue 94 (January 31, 2014)

Sidebar

Last Friday Night
Katy Perry once released a crappy record about what she did last Friday night, but too bad she’s a nerd and has been going downhill since she kissed a girl. You have the chance to not be a nerd, and make Friday night history. It’s your time to be under the spotlight.

This Friday Night
Where are you going to be? That’s right. Eva May Square Garden. The site of the very first Dungeon Costume Party. Wear whatever you can find – old costumes, weird hats, etc. It’s Halloween in January. Never been done before. If you all participate, it’ll be legen-wait for it- dary.

Preview
The girls play at 6, coming off a big win against LJCD. Look for  Imani and co. to pull off an easy one in style. At 7:30, the guys play. Dempsey, the best thing to come out of Arizona since Arizona Iced Tea, and Lizanich, certified Phil-osopher, look to continue on their quest to make bank and drive Range Rovers.

Remember, the first five rows of the stands are the splash zone, so bring your umbrellas and ponchos.


Articles


Alphamale of Life
By: Nessa Garcia

Two days ago, I learned a lot from Dr. Terrence Roberts, not just from his significant history as one of the Little Rock Nine, but also from his other life experiences. If you do the math, Central High only makes up 0.7% of Dr. Roberts’s life, and I found that the insight I gained from his other experiences was just as intriguing:

Lesson #1: Never incorrectly use the word “like.” After I had been called out by Dr. Roberts in front of about 800 people, this rule finally sank in for me. At first, I simply felt humiliated, but after sitting in to listen to Dr. Roberts for two lunches and an APUSH class, I understood where he was coming from. “Be the CEO of your life,” he stated, “which means, always be aware of yourself and what your goals are. Even simple things, like being aware of your language, can get you in this mindset.” It wasn’t until later that I realized why filler-words are so terrible: they’re completely, utterly useless. If I’m running my life like a business, the most logical thing to do would be to choose my words carefully instead of using unnecessary language.

Lesson #2: Give your audience what they need and want. While I sat through a total of four different audiences, I noticed how Dr. Roberts adapted to each group and let them choose the agenda. For the middle schoolers, most questions were about factual, objective details. Things like, “Could you play on sport teams?” and “Did you befriend any white people?” were asked. Meanwhile, the older grades asked more abstract and intellectual questions, such as, “Is ignorance the fault of the individual or his/her parents?” In both settings, Dr. Roberts answered thoughtfully and concisely, adding his own theories or stories to the discussion as he saw fit. Despite the different groups, Dr. Roberts still managed to keep everyone engaged, and he openly accepted any one who questioned his ideas. Thus, his demeanor and presentation left with this: if you want to impact people, you have to earn your credibility by both addressing your audience’s wants and engaging them.
As you can see, Dr. Roberts easily deserves the prestigious Alphamale title, as he has inspired us all in ways that we’ll continue to discover.   


Juice Cleansing: The Hidden Danger
By: Celeste Crawford

       As I stumble through life as a teenage girl, I find myself baffled by a lot of things. For example: the use of the term “turnt up.” Lately I find myself perplexed by the idea of “cleanses.” When I first heard of cleanses, I imagined they might involve a lot of goat’s blood and unnatural head spinning. Then I found out cleanses are actually really different from exorcisms. A cleanse, or “juicing,” is the practice of consuming only fruit and vegetable juices for a set period of time (usually three days) in order to get rid of toxins. What exactly are toxins? Well, from what I understand, they’re a lot like demons in that they possess your body. Other than that, they’re kind of an enigma. 
       But I think juice cleansers have failed to ask themselves one key question that demands to be asked before you make any decision, dietary or ortherwise. Bears. Bears are the question. What if you get chased by one? How will this decision affect your ability to escape? Outrunning bears requires a great deal of alertness and stamina, and from what I’ve heard, juice cleanses tend to leave you weak, hazy, and debilitated. Will your fruit juice be enough to sustain you as you sprint through the trees? No. Will you pass out on the ground and inevitably be mauled by a bear as I run to safety? Absolutely.  
       And aside from the imminent threat of bears that you subject yourself to every time you cleanse, it’s also just an ineffective way to lose weight. Like most crash diets, they cause you to drop weight quickly then gain it back once you begin eating normally again. For a much healthier way to achieve permanent weight loss, I suggest that you watch the film 127 Hours to pick up some tips. 


No comments:

Post a Comment