Friday, December 13, 2013

Issue 72 (2013-2014)

Issue 72 (December 11, 2013)

Sidebar
Moment of Silence










































Thanks Mandela

For your service to South Africa and the world, and for helping me fill up this sidebar.

Articles

Just Take My Homework
By: Ryan Hastings

            I do not mind staying up late to complete assignments. I understand that we have to write essays, complete projects, and do other fun stuff once we get home. It’s all part of school. Part of the Bishop’s experience is being awake at two in the morning and screaming at your stuffed animals to shut up so that you can focus on what you are doing.  However, if I stay up late doing an assignment, I expect it to be collected the day it is due. 

            The worst thing ever, even worse than punching the straw through the Capri-sun, is when you get to class after slaving over that essay you procrastinated on for four hours the night before, living on Swedish Fish from twelve to two, is to hear your teacher say “I’m not going to collect it today.”  It makes me want to walk up and take a nap on the teacher’s desk to demonstrate the sleep that they cost me.  And hearing all the stories of people who didn’t finish the assignment because they were “too tired” and just got lucky…agony.  I’m not going to lie; I do occasionally benefit from these pushed back due dates, but more often than not they just amount to stolen sleep. It is not fair to us students when assignments get pushed back at the last minute. This is not necessarily an epidemic at Bishop’s right now, but it is something that happens every once in awhile. So for future reference, just like most students do, teachers need to stay true to their due dates and take our work when they say they will – no surprises.  Unless that surprise is a cancellation of finals, we’ll take that.

Add Me on Snapchat Obama
By: Dan Forssman

Yesterday, at Nelson Mandela’s funeral, Obama made some interesting choices. First, he shook hands with Cuban President Raul Castro, which John McCain naturally likened to shaking hands with Hitler, a perfectly reasonable analogy. However, I am here to talk about a different issue: Selfies.

Just when I thought selfies had been lost in the freshmen girl Instagram archives, Obama decided that it was time to bring them back. He posed for a selfie with British Prime Minister David Cameron and Denmark's Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt. Yes, during the funeral of world icon Nelson Mandela. And as Obama snapped his selfie, Michelle looked less than pleased to his right. I think she was jealous of the attention Barack was giving to Thorning-Schmidt because at some point later in the funeral, Barack and Michelle switched seats. Michelle has to realize that if she isn’t putting out at a funeral, Barack has to go for option two.

Anyways, Obama’s stupid-looking face in the photo (is that libel?) tipped me off that it was for Snapchat. Probably sending Sasha and Malea a snapchat with the caption “#funeralselfies” or Bill Clinton one with “Lewinsky has nothin’ on this Danish babe.” Either way, what Obama did was rather childish. Of course, the [conservative] media will take to its sensationalist leanings and rip apart Obama on this issue. While I do not think harping on his selfie is necessary, I am interested in what his Snapchat username is, so that I can teach him a thing or two on how and when to take selfies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment