Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Issue 75 (2013-2014)

Issue 75 (December 16, 2013)

Sidebar
Dear Ms. Roche,
I don’t like Bishop’s because I get beat up at school when I’m trying to get my popsicle like those kids at La Jolla High that go to Rigo’s. Even though I don’t like popsicles because they drip all over my hands because your campus is way too hot for me, I still get in the line of sweaty people and emerge with bruises and permanent scars. The mix of pushing, shoving, and name-calling that occurs in those Fun Friday frozen treat lines is exactly the type of bullying Mr. Chang warned us about in his presentation. And, Ms. Roche, how dare you allow those seniors to play country music? Do you have any respect for people like myself who don’t think Luke Bryan is a total babe? You are very cunning, trying to reward students for their hard work with time to relax, listen to music, and relieve their stress. But I see past your base scheming. It is all a plot to make us miserable. Ms. Roche, stop being nice to us because  everything is your fault. And let me wear spaghetti straps and sport a bare midriff, for goodness’ sake. Bishop’s sucks. Oh, and so does the Dungeon. They never go to any games or do anything.
Sincerely,
Dan Forssman


Articles

 A Response

Now, before I reply to the article written on Friday I want to make a couple things clear. First, I’m not attempting to be condescending or rude. I simply have an opinion about the article that I’d like to convey. Second, I understand what the intention of the article was, but I believe that it was poorly executed and was unintentionally hurtful to certain parts of the Bishop’s community.
I first read the article in Mr. Mulgrew’s English class. We discussed the contents and came to the conclusion that, again, while we understood the intent, it came off as sarcastic in an unkind way. Calling this campus “foodless” was probably the point that I was most upset about. The kitchen staff comes in every morning to the cold and loud “Dining Pavilion” to make food of a high quality for almost 1000 people. Most schools don’t have the kind of luxuries ours does with the burrito bar, soup of the day, daily fresh salad, sandwiches, etc. Also, talking to Ms. Roche in that manner was pretty disrespectful. She does more than you can even imagine for this school and for us to be happy here.
As for the attack on Fun Fridays, I can’t see how that is a legitimate argument. Fun Fridays are something our school sets up to make us happier. They are purely for our enjoyment. No one is obligated to set up Fun Fridays, and by the same token, no one is obligated to participate in them. Also, when you are a senior, feel free to blast whatever music you would like. But for now, while my class is applying to college and getting through midterms, we should be allowed to play whatever type of music we want (being, of course, appropriate and not even that loud)
Free dress, I understand, is accompanied by a dress code. But let’s be real here. For the past few weeks, I, at least, have been as cold as an Egyptian after the first snow in 112 years. And even if I could wear whatever I want, I would rather wear my jeans and hoodie than shorts and a tank top. Also, I really doubt we are deficient in Vitamin D here in sunny San Diego when it is the middle of December and, looking outside right now, I can’t see a cloud in the sky.
I could start a rant now on how there are children in Africa who would love your sticky drippy popsicle, but I’m sure everyone has heard of this argument before. It is true though. We are so privileged here that if all you have to complain about Bishop’s is the free dress, popsicles, and music, it’s probably a pretty darn great school. And it is.
I do commend the author of the piece for writing such a bold article, and I really hope this response does not make her stop questioning authority because that’s one of the most important qualities a person can have. But just be sure that the actions you are questioning are actually well worth your time and theirs.

Your fellow “oppressed” student,
Noor Hamdy ’14 The Voice of the Offended


This message is approved and supported by the Senior Class.



No comments:

Post a Comment