Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Issue 108 (2013-2014)

Issue 108 (February 24, 2014)

Sidebar #1
Airband Results!
The seniors swept the Airband podium this year, winning the bronze, silver, and gold medals.

Actual Airband Results!
1st place: Juniors
2nd place: Seniors
3rd place: Freshmen
4th place: Sophomores
5th place: Eighth Grade
6th place: Sixth Grade
7th place: Seventh Grade

From Dylan DeWaart
We’re putting on a Skype video call with high school students in Afghanistan this Tuesday in the Library from 6:30 to 7:30 pm! Participants will earn community service hours. Casual dialogue, so come with any burning questions. Pizza and snacks will be served.

Lyrics Quiz
He’s in her heart on the floor
Thinking that I’ll never know
I’ll be up, going through crazy (poop) I did for you
In my mind, in my head, seeing all the words unsaid
Honey, honey, I am never coming home again

Lyrics Quiz 2
Take one step left and one step right
One to the front and one to the side
Clap your hand once and clap your hands twice
And if it looks like this then you are doing it right
BONUS: What do the titles of these two songs have in common??

Articles

Guy Tzar
By: Emily Gao (Queen of the Pun)
I constantly have to remind myself not to worry about things that are out of my control because if I do- and I tend to- I  lose all my marbles. Every last one.
Each individual problem that arises feels like a geyser erupting. When I have one catastrophic problem, the little guys in my head can just roll a boulder over it. Done. Gone. But when a lot of these grand scale problems go off, erupt, there’s instant panic inside my head. It’s a lot of pent up pressure, a lot of turbulent water, a lot of vision impairing steamvapor. We can’t get rocks to all of these! The people inside me shout. The shortage of boulders freaks me out. Now what? The little guys all look at each other, exchanging nervous glances, anxiously pulling at their own collars trying to find a solution. Any solution. Any boulder.
But here’s the reality-  Maybe geysers going off isn’t so bad, maybe sometimes you’ve just got to let them happen. Besides, its scientifically proven that eventually the water supply will deplete and the geyser system will cool down. That’s not to say that what you should do is pop open a sprite and watch them all go off at your mercy but its about making sure you palliate the most beastly of the geysers and let the other ones be. There measly. Triage the geysers.
Nobody tells geysers when to go off, when to erupt, when to stay dormant. They’re out of our control.  However,  as sporadic as they can be, there’s beauty in knowing they go off whenever they please. Nobody’s pressing a button or pulling a string for Old Faithful. And there’s sincere beauty in that.
                I think that for me, no matter what geysers go off I just have to remember that  I don’t need to get a boulder to ALL of them or else I’ll expend all my energy trying to do the impossible. Sometimes its best to let geysers simply do their thang.

Sidebar #2
#2SIDEBARRSSSSS
For maximum fun!

IT’S ALMOST SPRING BREAK!
Two weeks to go!

FEBRUARY ENDS THIS WEEK!
The shortest month of the year. We’ll be sad to see it go.

POETRY QUOTE OF THE DAY: FROM THE LOVE SONG OF J. ALFRED PRUFROCK, WHICH IS A DARN GOOD POEM
Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk along the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think they will sing for me.

I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

FONT OF THE DAY:
Rockwell!

Word of the Day:
kvetch (v): to complain. 


No comments:

Post a Comment