Sunday, March 9, 2014

Issue 115 (2013-2014)

Issue 115 (March 5, 2014)

Sidebar
SPORTS
First, the debut of phenom Thomas Higginson in his first ever JV Tennis match. Today, after school at 3:30. It will be legendary.

Then, at 7:00, the moment you have all been waiting for. Girls Basketball Semifinals vs LCC. At home in Eva May Square Garden. This is the last home basketball game in the brief wondrous life of the 2014 Dungeon Turn Up Squad, and it’s a good one. The lady ballers are charging straight into a big CIF Finals game Saturday at USD, so come out and join their legendary championship run. This game is a WHITE OUT, so you know what to do. You’re not going to remember that homework you did on a Wednesday night a month from now, but you sure as hell will remember that tight game that you went to that was off the hyphy charts. Stay in school, don’t do drugs, eat your veggies, and go to the Girls Bball game tonight.

Dungeon Spring Line
Get ready for some fresh attire that will shock the fashion world. Coming in soon to a hyph vender near you are some super tight Dungeon Baseball tees and a limited edition order of customized Dungeon Bucket Hats. We have a big shipment coming in over spring break, but contact us now to reserve your spot in line.

PDG
Go to the PDG concert Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. It is an amazing show put on by an amazing group of people, especially the seniors, and you’d be missing out on an awesome experience if you didn’t go.

From the Daily Bulletin
8th grade girls – If you missed Mindfulness class yesterday during period X, go to make up class today in Mr. Rybak’s room (B-2b) during enrichment.

Lyrics of the Day
You can’t hold hands when they make fists
And I ain’t the first to say this


Articles

Bishop’s Legend: Dr. Hennessey   
By: Emily Gao

                History has the stigma of being a dull subject. Some argue that it’s too outdated. However, Faulkner fanatic Dr. Hennessey counters that whoever believes this “just didn’t have a good history teacher.” I had a grand old time sitting down with Dr. H herself and talking to her about her past, present and future.

After 35 years of teaching, I asked Dr. Hennessey to reflect back on her own high school days.
“Number one, I went to a segregated school. The Warren Arkansas school system didn’t start integrating till after I graduated. I saw the white colored drinking fountains. What’s really weird is that I didn’t really think about it. That’s the way things were.
I was one of the good kids.... it was a small town, so if you did anything, your parents would hear about it, so I studied and read and all. I ended up getting to work in the principal's office. That was a good kid thing. I remember being in there as a junior and watching our tattered textbooks being shipped off to the black schools and thinking, ‘there’s something wrong with this’.”

Any worries about teaching for too long?
“I don’t want to be around when people are saying ‘she’s still here?’ I always said that when one my kids came through I’d retire. But it has already happened! When grandchildren come in, perhaps that’ll be the cue to stop.”

Dr. H’s first job at Bishop’s was teaching ninth graders. Little did she know how stealthy they could be.
“One of the classes I taught was the best class I ever had. Then I had this other class...they were out of control. I had no idea about discipline. I taught in lower Cummins, you know those classrooms? One day, a couple of boys were sneaking out through the brush and leaving class! Finally one of the girls asked, ‘You do know that Bill and Joe are sneaking out of class right?’ One year I tried teaching eighth grade. It was a total disaster. They’re too squirrely!”

I’m a supernatural geek, so I had to ask her what her ideal superpower would be.
“Scary stuff. X-ray Vision! Mind reading! Actually, I wouldn’t want one. I acknowledge the possibilities, but there’s too much responsibility. Would I use it for good or evil? I’ll just pass.”

The best teaching advice she’s ever heard?
“To follow my instincts in the classroom. So I do that. I just have fun doing it, and when I don’t, I’ll quit doing it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment