Saturday, November 16, 2013

Issue 57 (2013-2014)

Issue 57 (November 15, 2013)

Sidebar
HAPPY FRIDAY!
Yesterday was Thursday (Thursday)
Today it is Friday (Friday)
We we we so excited
We so excited
Gonna have a ball today

CIF THING NUMBER 1
Bishop’s Field Hockey made CIF!!!! They’ll be playing SDA (San Dieguito Academy, not Student Diversity Alliance) on Saturday at 12:30. GO FIELD HOCKEY! Make sure to congratulate captains Tina Huang, Jenny Chen, and Marjorie Reed!

CIF THING NUMBER 2!
Girls’ Volleyball has CIF quarter finals today at 3:30. Bump! Set! Spike! Cheer! Congratulate teammates after every play!

CROSS COUNTRY!
Cross Country has its Coastal Conference Finals today! Wish the team luck!

If you feel personally victimized by Dan Forssman…
Then send an article to the DU!!!1!111! thedailyurinal@gmail.com. Please and thank you.

Lyrics Quiz Results
Lots of people got Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen, including (but not limited to) Doc and Ms. Ryan. (there are probably others so Colin is covering all his bases.)

Disgusting Pun of the Day
Why did the Mac store smell??
It had no Windows.
Pun by Thomas Higginson.

Word of the Day
Mellifluous


poop

Articles

Olive Branch
By: Emily Gao (Peacemaker)
                Hey Tiff,

I wanted to write to you about that dungeon article. Yeah. You know...that one. 

My immediate reaction to Dan's article was to go and search for you.... And I creepily did by looking for you through the most recent yearbook. But alas, I couldn't find you. I believe you’re a new freshmen. You know, for a second I had a moment of hysteria where I thought you didn't exist....but  woohoo, you do! Anyway onward with my point—I'm sorry about the way Dan responded to your article.

 If Ryden Nelson (he was a senior at the time I was your age) wrote to me like that I would have wanted to stick my head into the earth ostrich-style. I'm truly sorry 
you had to face that sort of treatment from the DU and hopefully that doesn't downgrade your opinion of the publication too much. I promise that for the most part we are made up of really kind, quirky upperclassmen who really like to write and attempt to be funny.

Before I close, I'd like to also commend you on your valor. You've got balls bro. I know people even in my grade, seniors too who are scared of submitting to the DU. It always surprises me when you realize how many people truly do read what we put out. Powerful stuff really. I'm going to assume that you didn't know how Dan  was a part of the dungeon before you sent that in. Even so, you're still brave. If you did know those things then my god you are even more brave than I expected. Right on bro.  It takes guts to do what you did. 

I hope I can finally see you in person sometime soon! Sorry I had to use this rather impersonal method of communication. Anywho, I hope you're okay and please do not be scared of submitting in the future. I stand by my belief that the  DU is a phenomenal mean of communication and witty expression plus, as we all know, is read more than the Tower (;D).  Totally not just saying that because I'm a loyal staff member....heh. 

PLEASE say hi to me in the hallways! I'd love to give you a hug. If you have any further comments or questions feel free to email the DU back. Or write another article, eh? 

Yours,

Em

The Perks of Being Short
By: Alexandra Tsai (Fun-sized Bishop’s Student)
                Every day, I find myself staring with a longing look in my eyes as my brother reaches to grab a jar of peanut butter conveniently located on the pantry’s top shelf. Although being “vertically challenged” has put me through a myriad of difficulties (such as being used as an armrest), I have discovered that being short is actually a wonderful blessing.
As a short person…
1.        You can save money by shopping in the children’s clothing aisle.
2.        Your friends will be impressed by your limbo and hide and seek skills.  
3.        The chronic problems of blankets being too short to cover your whole body and your feet hanging over the edge of a bed are nonexistent.
4.        Your legroom on airplanes is absolutely superb.

And at Bishop’s, being short definitely has its advantages.
5.        You will have guaranteed admission into the Cute Things Club.
6.        When taking class pictures, you will most likely be positioned front and center, allowing you to be eternally remembered when classmates look at yearbook photos 20 years into the future.
7.        Because of some strange optical illusion, your uniform skirt will always seem longer than it actually is, which will prevent the dreaded UV.
8.        When sitting in all-school assemblies during a tiring week, you can sometimes take advantage of the taller students sitting in front of you and hide behind them to inconspicuously catch some Zs.
9.        You will be able to maneuver around congested areas such as the cafeteria tent, dodging students and teachers carrying plates of hot lunch.
10.      Although you may not look intimidating, like the small but deadly piranha you can act fast and strike quickly – on the field, in the pool, or on the court. 

Enjoy the perks… until you are mistaken for a middle schooler!

No comments:

Post a Comment