Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Issue 60 (2013-2014)

Issue 60 (November 20, 2013)

Sidebar

SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS
CIFs are happening all over the place, kids. BISHOPS YOU KNOW FIGHT KNIGHTS FIGHT

Formal Haiku
A flower bouquet,
One shy, tentative question.
“Will you go to--?” “NO.”

Another Haiku
Tense, endless silence.
“Harvey, dear, I am with child.”
Even more silence.

Lyrics Quiz
Walk into the club like
“What up? I got a hit song!”
I’m so pumped, I bought some clothes from the thrift shop.

Second Lyrics Quiz
Making my way downtown
Walking fast
Faces pass
And I’m home bound
DUH DUNDUN DUNDUN DAH
Dah dundun
DUH DUNDUN DUNDUN DAH
Dah dundun
Staring blankly ahead
Just making my way
Just making my way
Through the crowwwwddddd
DUH DUNDUN DUNDUN DAH
Dah dundun
DUH DUNDUN DUNDUN DAH
Dah dundun
DUN DUNDUNDUNDUNDUN
And I need you
DUN DUNDUNDUNDUDNUDN
And I miss you

Please
SUBMIT ARTICLES!!!!! We’ve heard from a lot of freshmen, but almost zero sophomores/juniors. GET ON THAT, KIDLINGS. NOWWWWWWW

#savethelotus

Articles

3 Non-Existent Films That Could Win Oscars: PART 1
By: Matthew Kerr (Thanks the Academy)
It’s that time of year again. The holiday seasons means hot chocolate, mistletoe, and films, of course! Awards season is right around the corner. Here’s a look at three films that have the potential of winning Academy Awards.
1. Appliances
This acclaimed Pixar film takes a look inside the secret life of household appliances. When Gene the [washing] Machine is uninstalled from the home, the gang of appliances must team up to save him. Including classic characters like “Stella,” a sassy stove voiced by Whoopi Goldberg who spouts hilarious lines like her signature phrase, “BUURNNNNN.” There’s also Mitchell, a grumpy dishwasher voiced by Steve Buscemi who initially appears to be the villain, but transforms into a real hero with a heart of gold. Then, of course, the film’s protagonist is Geoffrey, a young, brand new microwave who must find… himself. Watt? Ha ha am I right?
2. Peignez-moi Un Dernier Baiser
This French film, whose title translates into “Paint Me One Last Kiss,” was a big winner at Cannes. It follows Berenice, a precocious eleven-year-old girl, whose arms and legs are tragically severed off in a sculpting accident. Cursed with the inability to walk, Berenice is stuck with nothing but her abusive family and an easel given to her by her great-grandfather. She discovers that she has a true gift for painting, and soon begins to create complex artistic masterpieces, while also struggling to find the true meaning of life. Pretentious filmgoers everywhere have raved and cried about the film, which has a 3 hours and 58 minute runtime.
3. Stalin
This acclaimed biopic stars Daniel Day-Lewis as Communist dictator Joseph Stalin, and is the first film to portray the Soviet leader as “human” and “good deep down.”
“It’s quite a beautiful story,” director Steven Spielberg says of the film. “Joseph Stalin is a misunderstood man whose tale needs to be told through a 200 million dollar budget and some excellent cinematography.”
The films gives audiences inside views of Stalin’s many heartbreaking tales, including a very tragic incident in which the dictator accidentally kills a woman he had fallen in love with. Spielberg continues:
“The film makes you sympathize with the man. He may have killed 20 million people, but that doesn’t exempt him from humanity.” The film will be scored by John Williams, and ends with an extreme wide shot of Stalin walking into the sunset.

Junior Haikus
By: Nessa Garcia (5-7-5)
Everyone knows that junior year is hard. Before I could list the high school levels in order, I was told junior year was hard. In mental preparation for this year, I remember trying to ingrain myself with a positive mindset, using motivational  quotes about hard work and overcoming struggles. However, even those could not last this trying time. To effectively express the nature of junior year, I will now resort to poetry—more specifically, haikus.

My dog leaves the room
Two A.M., I’m still awake
My lamp bothers him

My face kind of hurts
Eyes are suddenly dumbbells
Did I fall asleep?!

But I like PJs
Do I need to brush my hair..
The sun is not up

Where’s a Cuvier spot
How do you parallel park
Crap, two-hour parking

I forgot breakfast
It’s too early for a Twix
I still eat a Twix

What’s for lunch today?
Oh, wait, it doesn’t matter
Must finish homework

She ends class early
Teacher hailed as a hero
The people rejoice

We swarm the library
We plan to be productive
Yet we fall asleep

The cycle repeats
Complaining is necessary
This is junior year.


No comments:

Post a Comment