Saturday, October 19, 2013

Issue 12 (2013-2014)

Issue 12 (September 6, 2013)

Sidebar


SPORTS!
Check it out. Big game day today. Water Polo, coming off a huge win, or rather bloodbath, yesterday, has another game today, right after school. Roll out of your period 4 classes and head over to the pool. Remember your ponchos, cause it’s bound to get real wet. After WoPo, you already know that it’s Knight Time. Grab a quick snack at Ortega’s and head over to Grom City High School for un partido grande against a school from Tijuana. Hopefully they know that we play real football in America and don’t show up in shin guards. Roll on the eye black, get your dungeon tanks, sacrifice some sixth graders to the knight of whipple chill, and just get weird.

S
H
O
R
T
S



Lyrics Quizzes

Colin Garon sucks, so he didn’t mention Mr. Davis, Gloriana, Mr. Maycock, and Mr. Rybak (who was very upset) for getting “I Am the Walrus,” by The Beatles two days ago. Colin still had the nerve to post “Respect,” which every human on earth identified. However, Mr. Davis was quick to point out that Otis Redding wrote and sang the original version of the song, making the one hit wonder Aretha Franklin effectively a subpar artist. Sorry Colin.

Articles

Free My People!
By: Jack Piegza (Guest Legend) [endorsed by Dan Forssman and men everywhere]

                My fellow Bishopians, I come to you with a crisis. A situation so mind-bendingly awful I can barely write this article, but I will push on for the sake of oppressed thighs everywhere. Let me start from the beginning.  
                As I sat attentively in Biology class in the scorching hot science center, I heard a small voice cry out to me. Then it did it again. This tiny little voice I heard was screaming out, “Save me! Please save me.” I thought to myself, “what ever could this poor, subjugated, little creature be?” I realized the grieving voice was coming from inside of my pants. It was my legs. My quadzillas were being shackled by the inhumane atrocity of pants, and their little hearts could barely take it anymore. In the midst of the warmest time of the year in La Jolla, my money-makers were not only trapped inside a classroom, but were also imprisoned in the deep dark confines of my khaki pants. Balderdash I say! 
                In a community as “open-minded” as The Bishop’s School for Boys and Girls, why is it that we continue to condone thigh-abuse? Thighs are second-class citizens, kept beneath a layer of Lands End’s smothering cotton. They continually look up at a glass ceiling through which they cannot pass. Except this glass ceiling is covered by khakis. They don’t even have a killer view from their horrid prison. Our poor legs sweat it out in the darkness, but I say it is time for them to see the light!
                On top of these physical horrors, Bishop’s is also inspiring gender segregation by implying that the men wear the pants in every relationship. I will not put up with this. As our nation, our society, moves along the arc of moral justice, why does Bishop’s lag behind? Why do we profess such high morals and values while subliminally placing women in subordinate and subservient roles? I will not put up with this. Three inches above the knees? Why is that a rule made solely for women? We are all better than this bigotry. We must move past it.
                My fellow Bishop’s students, a revolution is upon us. A revolution so radical, so monumental, so mind-bendingly awesome, it will put Che Guevara and George Washington to shame. This is not your ordinary revolution. Nay, this one that is far more practical.  This is one that will have far more long-lasting consequences. This is a revolution that could release you from the tyranny of the poorly air-conditioned Science Center and pasty mid-winter legs.  This revolution I speak of is the shorts revolution. The Chubbies Revolution.    
                As the great philosopher Brick Tamland once said, “I would like to extend to you an invitation to the pants party.” I would like to invite you to my pants party. As with any true pants party, pants are optional. If you are a fan of hot, sweaty, humid conditions, then you are welcome to continue forcing your thighs lower and lower in the hierarchy. But I, a fan of true democracy, put forth that the Bishop’s students are given a certain freedom as to the length of our lower garments. Shorts are the next logical step in the progression in the Tibial and Fibular Rights Movement. Students and teachers alike, join us as we dare to sit in the front of the bus, the bus whose destination is Shorts City.
                I have a dream. A dream that, one day, I can walk thigh in thigh without having to bypass the oppressive barriers that are khakis. A dream that shins and calves alike can breath the fresh air after being framed and imprisoned for a crime they didn’t commit. A dream that we can look past what society tells us is a good and proper uniform, and look to the students, the people who count, and allow them the freedom and responsibility to wear shorts. A dream that dreams aren’t just dreams, but are rather accomplishments. Join me in my quest for SHORTS! 

No comments:

Post a Comment