Saturday, October 19, 2013

Issue 13 (2013-2014)

Issue 13 (September 9, 2013)

Sidebar
SPORTZ!!!
Last Friday, Football went medieval on Tijuana’s Prep Federale in a 55-14 win, and Water Polo had a 16 point win over Mt. Carmel. Great job guys!

SHORTZ!!!
Auditions for the Shorts Festival  are on September 16th at 2:45, and Semptember 17th and 18th at 6, so audition. Seniors, if you’ve always wanted to act, now’s your chance!

Let’s Go Chargers!
The first game of Chargers season is tonight, so finish your homework early…or really late.

Meanwhile, in England…
A skyscraper in downtown London has been melting cars dues to its parabolic shape. Nobody has blamed the architects because they could never have imagined that there would ever be sun in London.

I’d Say That I’d Catch A Grenade for You, But I Don’t Think We’re Quite There Yet
Bruno Mars has been booked to perform at the Super Bowl XLVIII halftime show. Good God, America is imploding.

Friday’s Lyrics Quiz
Everybody got this one right because there wasn’t one!

Lyrics Quiz
I thought I was smart
I thought I was right
I thought it better not to fight
I thought there was a virtue
In always being cool

Fun Fact:
The answer to today’s lyrics quiz was playing when the stereo in the Senior Rec Room exploded. Never forget.


Articles

 A College Essay:
By: (Author witheld).
I have always been privileged. My father runs a multi-billion dollar corporation, so I enjoyed a carefree life of luxury. Until the day we went to the opera. I was seven, and I was getting bored and some of the bat costumes were really scary to me because I was really scared of bats. So, naturally, I wanted to leave. I asked my parents, and they said yes, so we left. But the front doors were locked, so we had to go out a way that lead out into a sketchy back alleyway. We left anyway. Not five seconds afterwards, a man came up to us with a gun. He asked for our money and jewelry. My father was willing to cooperate fully. But the man panicked. He shot them both and ran away. Leaving me standing there by myself.
                If I hadn’t been so scared of bats, my parents would still be alive. People have told me, “don’t blame yourself,” but it was my fault, right? So, with the help of my butler, I journeyed down into the cave filled with bats in my backyard (it was a pretty big backyard) that had made me so afraid of bats in the first place. I totally wasn’t afraid of bats anymore. Then I went to an unspecified Asian country and learn not to fear anything and got totally shredded in the process. I was gone for seven years. People thought I died.
Finally, I wasn’t scared of anything, so I went back home, and I wanted to give back to the community, but it didn’t seem like philanthropy was getting anything done. So I started dressing up like a bat and beating people up. People who deserved it. I started hanging out in my cave a lot (I started calling it the Batcave) and pretty soon, it became a kind of double life. I even got to talk in a really cool, scary deep voice.
I think that my experiences dressing like a bat and beating up criminals helped me come to terms with my parents’ death in a way that was good for me and the community. Because of this and other reasons (like my money) I think I’m the student Gotham State University deserves, even if I’m not the one that it needs.

The Worst Poem
By: Matthew Kerr (DU Bard)
The rain
It’s as wet as a lake
And I’m stuck
Swimming
Paddling
My heart
It’s being dribbled
On the basketball court of love
And it gets tossed into the hoop
Gone, eternal blackness
The 3-pointer of life
The crowd goes wild
But where are they?
Now what?
This feeling
As hot as the sun
Or as cold as ice
I can’t tell
Who will ever know?
I’ll tell you who
Not you
Like a mirror
Because you broke my heart
Shattered into millions of pieces
Each one resembling my love for you-
Now
The mastermind’s words are spoken softly:
“We run things
Things don’t run we
Won’t take nothin’ from nobody
yeaaaahhh yeaaaahhh”
What if things do run we
To the point of exhaustion
But
Run us so far
To the point of death
We can’t stop?
More like we have stopped

FIN

No comments:

Post a Comment