Saturday, October 19, 2013

Issue 4 (2013-2014)

Issue 4 (August  26, 2013)

Sidebar
Blast O
Congratulations to Matt Lizanich for not cheating and bringing in more spoints for the seniors in an absolutely fair manner.

Accident!
After our great 20s dance, a woman was run over in a hit and run outside school. Witnesses say that the death car was bright yellow. Daisy, let the man drive next time.

Alex Krstic
Please report to Ms. Crowley’s office. You are guilty until proven innocent of 15 counts of plagiarism in your article, all drawn from Ryan Hasting’s previous piece.

Shouts Out
To Matt Cappetta, for dialing up the dope meter with the fresh new senior tees.
To Bob Filner, for resigning from Head Creep of San Diego.
To them freshmen, on Instagram straight flexin’ (still).

Birthday!!!
Happy Birthday Tessa, from your favorite ex-leader.
[Also Happy B-day to the homegirl Mother Theresa]

I’m Sorry!
Facebook issues a formal apology to Isabelle Oliver for killing the quality of her profile picture. Due to poor quality and nothing else, she only got 134 likes in the first 24 hours, a very poor showing.

Friday’s Lyrics Quiz
I am proud to say that we have no Nickelback fans in our DU readership, as nobody got Friday’s lyrics quiz correct. You are all winners.


Articles
Because You Need More Advice
By: Alex Krstic (Ryan Hastings copycat)

Now that the newest influx of itty-bitty 6th graders, overly confident freshman, and various newbies to the other grades have all matriculated, I feel the time has come to truly induct these new students into the Bishop’s community. Here I’ve compiled some tips to help you, dear new students, through your first few weeks and transform y’all into truly successful members of Bishop’s society.

1. The most efficient way to get around the Quad before lunch is by riding your rolling backpack.

2. When making your way to English class, never take the stairs at the back of Cummins.

3. When offered any kind of free food, gorge yourself ravenously. You never know when you’ll next be able to afford a break in your studying to allow yourself basic nourishment.

4. Never erase Mr. Hartman’s whiteboard with your fingers.

5. Complain incessantly about Whipple Hill – even though it clearly has some beneficial features – because you can.

6. Make an effort to befriend Chi Chi Chang (ASBC Prez) and Adi Chang (12th Grade Prez) because they
A) are unbelievably friendly
B) are amazing role models, and
C) have names that will never stop being fun to say.
Don’t worry -- Chi Chi doesn’t bite, and Adi only does when provoked.
2 Changz! - Dan

7. “Mr. Assaf, your hair looks fantastic!” or alternatively, “Mr. Assaf, want some of this extra food I happen to have with me?”

8. Be enthusiastic.

9. Invest in an espresso machine. If you don’t like coffee, just know that soon, you will.

10. Be as open as possible to new experiences and try to take advantage of as many opportunities as you can. Great passions are often discovered by accident.

In all seriousness, if you find yourself needing help with something or just want someone to talk to, you can come to me anytime. You can recognize me as the tall brunette flailing her limbs excitedly and shouting across the terrace at some fellow member of the arts department (probably Adi Chang).

Son of a Monster
By: Matt Kerr (DU Freshman)

       “Is your dad, a former athlete, disappointed that you don’t play any sports?”
       This seems to be a question that I receive very often. The first time I heard this, it seemed ridiculous. Then I thought about it more and more. “Is he disappointed that you don’t play any sports?” For those who don’t know, he used to play basketball for some teams or something. When asked that question, I have always given people the same boring answer: “No, my dad loves me no matter what I do.” But now it’s time to tell everybody the bitter truth.
       Every evening as I sit in my room and do my homework, my father enters, effortlessly spinning basketballs on both fingers, balancing a football on his head, and juggling golf clubs. He stares at me and says: “Hey son, wanna watch the big game tonight?” When I tell him no, that I have literally no interest in sports and that I just want to do my homework, a grim look comes across his face. He nods politely and then retreats back into his room, where he climbs into bed and falls asleep in his Bulls jersey. I can hear him boiling with rage. He tosses, turns, cries, and mutters profane things. “I have no son,” he angrily weeps. In the mornings, he attempts to sign me up for basketball camps or college tours for some kind of athletic scholarship. Then he tries desperately to make me shoot a three-pointer. When I can’t quite do it, he deflates the ball and sobs.  
       I was a fool to lie to you people for all these years. Giving you sappy answers like “my dad is supportive” and “he loves me.” Yeah right. I can only pray that he won’t force me to master any more sports statistics this week. I’m sorry for being dishonest, and now I’m glad that I have told you all the truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment