Thursday, October 24, 2013

Issue 41 (2013-2014)

Issue 41 (October 24, 2013)

Sidebar
We love you:
Ally, for your kindness. Matt Kerr, even though you violated my ears when you said "Fart!" at coffee house. And all the the rest of you, we love you too, even though you're not as remarkable as these two <3

Seniors:
You should probably decide if you're applying early to colleges and get started on your apps. I think they're due soon or something...

Lyrics Quiz:
I'm with my kids in the minivan
Listening to NPR
With the windows down
Through the culdesac

Quiz Acknowledgement:
Sajan got my lyrics quiz right long long ago when he correctly identified "These Streets" by Paolo Nutini

Philosophical Question of the Day:
What's the meaning of Stone Henge?

Less Philosophical Question:
What does the fox say?

Completely A-philosophical Answer:
Gering-ding-ding-dinga-dinga-ding

Did You Make Up That Word?
A-philosophical? Yes.

It's Throwback Thursday
So go post some photos from last week that you didn't get a chance to put up because you had already posted twice every day and didn't want to seem desperate.

Want to be famous and loved by your peers?

Submit articles and erotic love poems of 400 words or fewer to the dailyurinal@gmail.com.

Articles

Dropping the F-Bomb: The Effects/Open Apology
By Matt Kerr (DU Stealer of Innocence)

                On the night of October 18th, 2013, at approximately 7:13pm, I committed my first sin ever. Although exhilarating, I could also feel my innocence ripped from my bare hands the very moment it occurred. For those of you who don’t know, I was set to perform a Vampire Weekend song entitled “Hannah Hunt.” Things were supposed to be simple, following the rules: I would sing my heart out, the crowd would cheer and cry, Colin Garon would have a 35 minute piano solo, I would be named “Artist of the Year” by Entertainment Weekly-- But no. None of that. A surge of nervous behavior had filled my body just seconds before I was meant to strut my way to the stage. I remember knocking people over on the way up, as well as clutching the microphone and taking a five minute break to cry. While singing, things seemed pretty okay. My voice was shaky but I was getting the job done. However, sometime along the first verse was when I began to get lost. The piano kept playing and I was left staring into space, completely blanking on the song that I had once known so well. “F***!”, I exclaimed. The audience gasped and went from calm to chaotic in about 0.3 seconds. Courtney Flanagan’s fragile heart ripped in half, immediately sending her collapsing to the ground. My mother violently banged her own head against the wall of the room while crying out to God, questioning why she was punished with such a vile son. Two people in the crowd burst into flames and had to douse themselves with the coffee being served.
                Mothers now shield their children from my presence, afraid I will expand my hellish influence upon them. This is not the life I want to come out of my foolish mistake. I take this time to apologize for my unforgivable actions, and to recognize the hearts that I have broken (Colin Garon himself refuses to ever play the piano for me again, as he is now sleepless and haunted by the sounds of my profanity). Humans take time to realize the things they’ve done wrong, and maybe I’m on that path of development now. I hope you can all understand. God bless.

DU Article Woohoo
By: Ally-G (DU Number One Fan)

To the fabulous DU staff—
I just can’t describe how much I love you guys and your publication. There have been a lot of awesome people who have come and gone, but I think that you guys make the best DU team that there ever was. Every morning, I love snatching a newly-minted issue, still warm from the copier, out of Colin Garon’s hands, so that I can read the really amazing articles that you all put forth on a daily basis. I never truly appreciated just how hard the DU staff works, but your guys’ fabulous writing has really opened my eyes to appreciate just how much effort and work it takes to write articles of the same high quality almost every day.
I don’t know all the nerds of the DU—that is, the staff who aren’t DU commanders—but I sure wish I did. Y’all impress me on the daily. A lot of you guys are sophomores, which I think is super cool. I never could have written articles that some of you write when I was a sophomore. I’m not sure I could even write as well as you guys do today. I wish I wasn’t graduating this year, so that I could keep reading your guys’ articles in the years to come.  L
Colin, Matt, Dan, and Greg—you guys are doing an amazing job commanding the DU this year. (I’m running out of superlatives, sorry.) I love guessing which one of you has formatted the day’s issue, and I love reading your guys’ articles because they always range in type: from humorous, to political, to spoken word, etc. I could go on and on, so multitalented are all of you as writers. Also, you guys never fail to impress me with the subjects of your articles. I definitely could never be that creative. I mean, it took me like 8 million years to figure out that I should write this letter.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that you guys never fail to bring me just what I need every day, whether it be a few laughs, or some food for thought. I can’t wait to keep reading! And I sure am going to miss you all and the DU next year.

Love,

A [no longer] anonymous senior <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment