Saturday, October 19, 2013

Issue 32 (2013-2014)

Issue 32 (October 9, 2013)

Sidebar
JUST FREAKIN’ TRY TO TAKE IT WITH YOU I DARE YOU
You Can’t Take It With You opens TOMORROW! WOW! Mr. Adam O. Davis has promised to attend on Thursday, and his advisees would like to thank him publicly for this. Everyone else should come too, and see Greg be the nicest old man ever.

Happy Wednesday!
Late start! C Day! Yippee!

Lyrics Quiz Controversy
Dan Forssman was unnecessarily mean to Sajan Palanki yesterday about his consistently strong performances on Lyrics Quizzes. Sorry, Sajan.

Today’s Lyrics Quiz
You can gaze into the future
You might think life would be a breeze
Seeing trouble from a distance
But then it’s not that easy
I try to save the situation
Then I end up misbehaving

Haiku
We at the DU think that Haikus are HaiCOOL.
Walk on silent path
Step in mysterious thing
Oh no! It is poop.
(You’re welcome for the poop, Conor Hayes.)

BishCup
Went well! Tennis won! Wahoo!

Word of the Day
Insubordination

Number of the Day
583

Font of the day
Helvetica 9.5 pt!


Articles

Shutdown Guide 2013
By: Ben Higgs (Knows His Stuff)
With this whole “government shutdown” business there appears to be a lot of confusion about what exactly is shut down and what is not. The following is a handy guide to what the shutdown means to YOU.

What IS shut down:
1. The NSA: The days of fearfully shopping for household appliances are over! Until the government gets its act together, you can feel free to search the web for the best fertilizer brands, the most reliable pressure cookers, and your favorite jihadic texts.

2. The EPA: Do you have extra batteries lying around? Maybe a few leftover cans of asbestos that you just CAN NOT get rid of? Not to worry! With the EPA out of commission, you can just chuck those bad boys into the nearest fresh water source. Until the government changes its collective diaper, we can all wallow in it!

3. NASA: Officials at Nasa haven’t noticed that they’ve been cut because of how little funding they’d been receiving in the first place. Shhhh.

What ISN’T shut down:
1. The IRS: Sorry students, looks like you will have to keep paying your taxes! Whoops, I mean your parents will. The way tax issues are discussed here I sometimes forget that no one here actually pays any taxes.

2. The Department of Education: Sorry, Rick Perry. (Super topical 2012 election joke booyah.)

3. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms: If anyone had any parties involving alcohol, tobacco, or firearms
(or any unholy combination of the three) planned for this weekend I would
go ahead and put that on hold.

DISCLAIMER: Some or all of these statements may have been misstatements or outright lies.

May the Lands Never End
By: Colin Garon (Uniform Junkie)
“Khakis are khakis,” claims the infinitely hard-hearted Dan Forssman.  He goes on to poop all over Lands’ End for approximately 4000 words, and then post his cruel rant all over the Bishop’s bathrooms. Well, Daniel, elementary-school-era Colin Garon, along with his Lands’ End shirt, shorts, sweatshirt, backpack, lunchbox, and lifestyle would like a word with you.
Lands’ End has been present in my life since kindergarten. All and all, I have worn Lands’ End clothes almost every non-summer weekday for about 10 years (There were a few years in the middle where I had to wear Sue Mills, but I try to forget that). In fact, I have been in uniform for almost all my life. It is a point of pride for me that I have received exactly zero Uniform Violations during my Bishop’s career (even though I didn’t wear a dress tie once last year hee hee hee). I draw a lot of comfort from my khakis, whatever Dan may think of them.
There IS a difference between the khakis of Lands’ End and the khakis of Volcom, by the way, and that difference is that it is nigh impossible to sag in Lands’ End khakis. Not that I’ve tried or anything.
In fact, I plan to keep on with the uniform for the rest of my life. When I win a Best Actor Oscar for my work in the movie version of the American Constitution, I will tell reporters that I am wearing Lands’ End with PRIDE IN MY HEART, gosh durn it. Especially since the unthinkable alternative is to actually dress myself in real clothes like a competent human being, and I’m not ready for that.
In short (or should I say “in shorts” ha ha ha uniform joke) I love the uniform. True, it’s not especially comfortable, and it isn’t especially fashionable, but I’ve grown emotionally dependent on it. It stops me from looking like a slob 24/7. And that’s what’s important.



No comments:

Post a Comment